The establishment of the first graduate level, research-based AI university in the world, the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence (MBZUAI), was announced in Abu Dhabi (October 16, 2019). MBZUAI will enable graduate students, businesses, and governments to advance artificial intelligence.
The University is named after His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces. He has long advocated for the UAE’s development of human capital through knowledge and scientific thinking to take the nation into the future.
MBZUAI will introduce a new model of academia and research to the field of AI, providing students and faculty access to some of the world’s most advanced AI systems to unleash its potential for economic and societal development.
The Chair of the MBZUAI Board of Trustees , His Excellency Dr. Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber, UAE Minister of State, is spearheading the establishment of the University. “The Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence is an open invitation from Abu Dhabi to the world to unleash AI’s full potential. The University will bring the discipline of AI into the forefront, molding and empowering creative pioneers who can lead us to a new AI empowered era,” he said.
Experts from around the world have been selected for the University’s Board of Trustees. They include:
- MBZUAI Interim President, Professor Sir Michael Brady, professor of Oncological Imaging at the University of Oxford, UK
- Professor Anil K. Jain, a University Distinguished Professor at Michigan State University, USA
- Professor Andrew Chi-Chih Yao, Dean of the Institute for Interdisciplinary Information Sciences at Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Dr. Kai-Fu Lee, a technology executive and venture capitalist based in Beijing, China
- Professor Daniela Rus, Director of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), USA, and
- Peng Xiao, CEO of Group 42.
The University will offer Master of Science (MSc) and PhD level programs in key areas of AI – Machine Learning, Computer Vision, and Natural Language Processing. All admitted students will receive a full scholarship, monthly allowance, health insurance, and accommodation.
The first class will commence coursework at MBZUAI’s Masdar City campus in September 2020.
Source: Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence (MBZUAI)